Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jennas Cardio Appointment

Today was Jenna's appointment at the Cardiologist. Alittle background: Jrs dad and Jrs Grandpa both had Cardiomyopathy. A heart condition. Jrs dad passed away at age 44 and his grandpa in his 60's. I have always worried about JR.. and I have wondered about the kids. Ever time the kids have done physicals for school and sports I have always marked HEART on the family history and I have always explained it when the DRs have asked. But that was as far as it has ever gone. They have never said any more.

Since we have been here in GA we no longer get seen by military Drs. We see regular civilian drs off base. So last month I took Jenna to get a sports physical and marked heart like always and she asked about it and I said casually "oh yeah that.." and explained.. she was like "WHAT??" and she asked if the kids have ever been tested? I said no. She said she would not sign off for Jenna to play sports until she was seen by a cardiologist first. At first I was mad, but then I was like, if I was a DR I would have felt the same way. How over the last 17 years (kendra is 17) have all of these drs for 3 kids just signed off on sports physicals.

OK so last week Jenna went for Chest X Rays. Today we drove to Savannah and saw the cardiologist. They hooked her up and did an EKG and blood pressure on both of her arms and both of her legs. From there we met with the DR. He had looked over everything and he listened to her heart too. He said everything looked and sounded ok. But.. he also wanted to do an Echocardiogram..

So off we went to the echocardiogram.. which was a semi colored ultra sound. We went back to the room when that was done and she was able to get dressed.

He came back in and asked her to get back on the table. He wanted to listen to her heart again. this is where I got alittle concerned. He already said everything was ok.. so WHY after the Echo did he sudddenly decide he needed to re listen to her heart.. ??

ok so after that he said everything sounded good. He then explained that for now everything is perfectly fine. .. BUT .. for her age and size her heart should be a certain size.. no smaller then one size no bigger then another size.. well hers is EXACTLY the largest size allowed for her age and size before they would be concerned.. if it was any bigger, they would run more tests.. but.. since it is exactly that size, and everything else looks good.. for now.. all is well. but he wants a full re test in 1 year.

0 comments: